- [Narrator] You can get the most from this course by first recognizing that writing a high quality research paper needs to be approached in steps or stages. A process must be followed. Trying to write a research paper in one three or four hour block of time is impossible. There are no shortcuts to producing a high quality research paper of which you will be proud. This course will help you understand the writing decisions that will need to be made. And to anticipate potential barriers.
So you can take steps to either avoid if possible the problem areas or at least to minimize them. The writing process is emphasized in every writing course. As with any process, enough time needs to be allowed for each step or stage. The analogy that writing a research paper is like a marathon rather than like a sprint race is frequently used, and that is so true. It's time consuming, it doesn't always go smoothly and can even be painful at times.
But understanding and applying what needs to be done before, during and after will help you run that research writing race. The lessons in this course will help you realize the importance of managing your time throughout the entire process. Also, all three of the pre-writing methods are discussed and illustrated. So one of the course benefits may be helping you decide which of the methods works best for you and your learning style. And then you'll learn how that pre-writing stage will help you prepare a structured outline.
The one from which you'll write. Another beneficial course takeaway is how the parts of the process fit together. All the way from choosing a topic, to turning it into a final project. We'll look at how you can select a research worthy topic. And how to turn that idea into a strong thesis statement. And then how to select research to support that thesis. How much, how to find it, what sources are credible and how to document those sources.
Then and only then are you ready to write. And finally, the course will emphasize the importance of the revision process. Formatting choices will also be evaluated. To get the most from the course, you have to be willing to commit to the time and effort that it requires, step by step. Finally to get the most out of this course, begin with a positive attitude. And keep visualizing the finished product, that A+ research paper.
- Give examples of descriptive writing.
- Differentiate between descriptive and argumentative papers.
- Identify reliable sources for accurate research.
- Plan your research paper using free writing.
- Develop a thesis statement.
- Create an annotated bibliography using various styles.
- Use transitions to move from one idea to another.
- Create a summary to recap the important points in a paper.