- Setting project objectives
- Identifying the target audience for training
- Selecting data sources
- Facilitating focus groups and interviews
- Designing effective surveys
- Identifying participant needs
- Defining learning outcomes
- Presenting results to project sponsors
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, I'm Jeff Toister. Welcome to Needs Analysis, part of the Instructional Design Essentials series. In this course I'm going to share with you step by step instructions for conducting a training needs analysis. These techniques are based on industry standards, proven best practices, and my own experience as a certified learning and performance professional who has spent more than 20 years designing training programs. We're going to focus on the three key steps necessary to conduct a training needs analysis. First, we'll cover how to set clear goals with project sponsors.
Next, we'll look at proven techniques for gathering essential data in a short amount of time. Finally, we'll talk about ways to analyze data and draw conclusions that will enable our training programs to be much more effective. We'll also spend some time looking at ways to gain buy-in from project sponsors, since they influence the success of any needs analysis study. By the end of this course I hope you'll enjoy conducting a needs analysis just as much as I do. Let's get started.