Explore the foundations of quantitative research, and learn how to tackle your own quantitative research study.
- Social science is a field built on research. As you embark on this, it can be overwhelming to know where to even get started with developing a research study. This is compounded by 700 page textbooks and seemingly contradictory concepts. But getting started with research does not have to be complex. A basic foundation in terms and concepts can set you on a course of quality research development. I'm Rolin Moe, an assistant professor, researcher, and an administrator in higher education.
In this course, we're going to tackle the fundamentals of developing a quantitative research study. Following a framework of research sections, we'll first identify the key elements of a study. Next, we'll explore how to develop sound research. Then, we'll discuss the process of collecting and analyzing data. By the end, you'll learn how to interpret data and draft your research paper. Quantitative research is a lot like a card game. It takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master. This is your initial opportunity to set off on the path of creating quality research, so let's get started.
- Reviewing the types of research design
- Generalizing your research
- Writing research questions
- Creating research objectives
- Developing a literature review
- Anonymity and confidentiality in research studies
- Narrowing your idea to a research topic
- Developing a problem statement
- Outlining your research proposal
- Presenting your data in written form and numeric form
- Writing your abstract and final summary