Author Ajay Pangarkar covers the elements of effective training. This includes fundamentals such as identifying learning expectations and barriers to learning.
- We've all once sat as participants in some type of training event, and I'm certain you remember whether the instructor was effective or a total wreck. Instinctively, you say to yourself "I can do better" if they're bad, or "how can I emulate this trainer" when they're really good. But what do effective trainers do? Effective trainers do five things. The first thing, effective trainers know the fundamentals, which include being aware of participants' learning expectations, aligning those learning expectations with the learning objectives of the course, and preparing themselves to focus on core content that will address the learning objectives.
Second, an effective trainer must be aware of the barriers to learning and how to manage them appropriately. For example, you need to be ready to deal with the participant that has more experience than you and any pushback that you may receive. Next, effective trainers create a training session plan. Think of the training session plan as a roadmap to make sure that the trainer has the required resources and is able to use their time wisely. Fourth, effective trainers implement training activities that get participants to apply the learning taking place within the session.
For example, let's say you're facilitating a session on conflict resolution. You can have participants roleplay and practice handling real life conflicts. Finally, effective trainers evaluate and revise training. As a trainer, it's your responsibility to ensure participants have the desired skills when they complete the course. And it's also your responsibility to continuously adapt and improve the course to the needs of your participants. So, if you want participants to walk away with a positive experience, then remember to keep these five concepts in mind when designing and facilitating your next course.
- Elements of effective training
- Core competencies of effective trainers
- Overcoming barriers to learning
- Motivating adult learners
- Preparing the training session
- Developing effective communication
- Questioning for effective learning
- Managing and engaging participants