Join Kevin Kelly for an in-depth discussion in this video Looking at social media outside the classroom, part of Social Media in the Classroom.
- In this chapter we'll look at ways to use social media…outside of the classroom.…When it comes to content review,…we need to make our course materials more approachable…and more meaningful.…Reading is one of the most common assignments,…however, many teachers complain…that students don't do the reading.…For content review, social media can act as a…support mechanism.…Students not only learn from each other by asking questions…but by reading comments other students post…in reaction to the content.…In this chapter, I'll describe how to use social media…and social reading tools…to support effective reading.…
We'll also look at ways to make more direct ties…to real world scenarios and events…to make those course materials…more meaningful to your students.…Today's untethered students can engage in many different…kinds of learning activities outside of the classroom…such as small group projects,…writing exercises,…constructing timelines together…or even connecting with experts in a specific discipline.…For these activities, social media can act as a way…
- Moving from social networking to "social netlearning"
- Balancing social media with in-class activities
- Creating social media guidelines
- Using Twitter for polls
- Using Facebook for student-generated test questions
- Connecting to real-world scenarios and people
- Using ReadWriteThink and Facebook to construct timelines
- Using Flickr and YouTube to collect student fieldwork
- Showcasing student work in online portfolios
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Using Social Media for Learning
2. Social Media in the Classroom
3. Social Media Outside the Classroom
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.