Join Kevin Kelly for an in-depth discussion in this video Deciding whether or not to use social media with your class, part of Social Media in the Classroom.
- In the last couple videos, we've started to look at…the big picture, related to using social media for learning.…But really, can social media be all that and a bag of chips?…There are quite a few teachers who have reservations about…using social media with their students, and rightly so.…The challenges are real; however, in an article called…"Is Social Media Reviving or Killing our Classrooms,"…I like what Scott Silverman said.…He's the Associate Director of…Student Affairs at UC Riverside.…
He said, "I think that the cons can be effectively managed…if the engagement strategies that teachers employ…are well-thought-out."…Since it has such a big presence, social media also presents…some big challenges in a learning environment.…Academic challenges include:…distractions during class, and cheating.…On the flip side, the benefits include:…student engagement and collaboration,…increased participation in class activities,…and increased student-teacher communication.…
Information competence challenges include:…an increased difficulty for students to tell…
- Moving from social networking to "social netlearning"
- Balancing social media with in-class activities
- Creating social media guidelines
- Using Twitter for polls
- Using Facebook for student-generated test questions
- Connecting to real-world scenarios and people
- Using ReadWriteThink and Facebook to construct timelines
- Using Flickr and YouTube to collect student fieldwork
- Showcasing student work in online portfolios
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Using Social Media for Learning
2. Social Media in the Classroom
3. Social Media Outside the Classroom
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.