Join Oliver Schinkten for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Edmodo in the 1-1 technology classroom, part of Up and Running with Edmodo.
- View Offline
- The number of classrooms implementing 1:1 Technology continues to grow. While many districts are equipping students with iPads or Chromebooks, others are encouraging a bring your own device environment. Either way, the amount of technology that our students have access to is increasing. This is exciting, but at the same time, for many educators it's scary. How does this change education and what steps do we take to ensure that our students are using the technology appropriately? My recommendation for successfully implementing technology is to have a central online location that your students can depend on to do things, such as: access assignments, see announcements posted by the teacher, participate in online discussions, check their progress in the class, store and organize digital resources, use a planner or calendar to stay updated on classroom events and deadlines, and as a place to ask the teacher and classmates questions about class.
For some districts the answer to this has been the adoption of a learning management system, such as Moodle, Canvas, or Schoology. Another excellent option is a social learning network, like Edmodo. Edmodo allows students to do all the things that I just mentioned. It's extremely easy to use and it's layout is similar to that of a social media platform, which most students are very comfortable with. As you begin to implement technology in the classroom and empower students with more autonomy, I strongly suggest considering the use of a site like Edmodo. Not only can you take advantage of the many features, but it will provide some predictability for students.
And Edmodo is free to use. Throughout this course I will demonstrate how to utilize Edmodo to engage students through technology while creating a culture of learning.
- Signing up for a teacher account
- Creating groups
- Communicating with notes and polls
- Collaborating with assignments, quizzes, and Edmodo Snapshot
- Storing resources in Edmodo's digital library
- Grading assignments
- Connecting with other educators and communities
- Purchasing apps
- Using Edmodo in flipped classrooms
- Using Edmodo as a student