Understand how vSphere 6 ESXi hosts discover the available LUNs on an iSCSI storage array.
- In this video, I'll explain iSCSI Target Discovery.…We'll look at how the ESXi Host is able…to discover the LUNs available on an iSCSI storage room.…So here on the left hand side of our diagram,…we see an ESXi Host, and on the ESXi Host,…we have a Windows Virtual Machine running,…and we also have a storage adapter created.…Maybe it's a software iSCSI initiator for example.…Now we want to create some data stores…on these LUNs that exist…on the iSCSI storage array on the right,…but how does the ESXi Host actually get a list…of the available LUNs so that we can go about the process…of creating those data stores.…
Well iSCSI uses a method called Dynamic Discovery.…And the first step is to configure our ESXi Host…with the IP address of the storage array…so that it has an address to query.…So that's what we'll configure…in our ESXi Host, an iSCSI target.…This is what the ESXi Host is going to send…a "Send Target's Request" to.…And here comes our Sends Target's Request…that the ESXi Host is sending to…that iSCSI target address that we've already established.…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.