Understand the basic concepts of VSAN and how it differs from traditional VMFS storage solutions. Learn about disk groups and VSAN data stores.
- [Instructor] In this video, I'll cover the basics of VSAN.…We'll look at some of the components that are used…in a VSAN Datastore…and we'll talk about how VSAN can be used…to create shared storage out of local storage.…Shared storage is required for many vSphere features…including vMotion, high availability, and DRS.…And in this example, we see here a virtual machine…running on ESXi Host 1.…Now this is where the live state of…the virtual machine is running,…the ESXi Host.…
So the current contents of memory are there…and the virtual hardware for the virtual machine.…That stuff is all in ESXi Host 1.…But the virtual machine also has a set of files…like a VMX file, and a VMDK file.…And those files are all stored on the Datastore.…So maybe we want to take this virtual machine…and move it from ESXi Host 1 to ESXi Host 2…for whatever reason.…Maybe we're load balancing,…or maybe Host 1 needs a memory upgrade…or something along those lines.…
For whatever reason,…we want to vMotion that virtual machine…from Host 1 to Host 2 with no downtime.…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.