Learn about vSphere storage APIs and their impact on performance and monitoring.
- [Instructor] In this video I'll explain VAAI and VASA,…and I'll talk about how these can be used…to improve the operation of datastores.…Now before we get into the details of VAAI,…let's take a moment to think about what happens…when a datastore is created.…So in this slide we have an ESXi host…that has access to some sort of storage right.…Maybe it's fiber channel,…fiber channel over ethernet, or iSCSI.…And the host can see the LUNs that have been created…on this datastore.…
Now at this point these LUNs are just chunks…of raw, unformatted disk space,…and using the vSphere web client,…we can view these LUNs, select one,…and create a VMFS datastore.…And now we have a space that's suitable…to store our virtual machines.…But there is a side effect of this process,…and that is we are creating a file system…that the storage array has no knowledge of.…So the storage array is unaware of which objects…are actually stored on this datastore.…
And this means that any operations that we…want to carry out on the array have to be done…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with VMware vSphere 6with Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
Configure and Manage VMware vSphere 6 Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
Fundamentals of Cloud Data Storagewith Joseph Lowery1h 26m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.