Understand the role of storage providers, and how commands are relayed from vCenter to a VVOL compatible array.
- [Voiceover] In this video,…I'll explain the role of Storage Providers…and how they're used with Virtual Volumes.…So in our last video, we learned about the protocol endpoint…and how it's used to handle Storage I/O…that's destined for a virtual volume,…and that storage array administrator is the one…who creates this protocol endpoint…and it serves as an interface to the storage container.…When a virtual machine I/O occurs,…the protocol endpoint receives that I/O…and it directs it to the correct virtual volume.…
So that's how the storage traffic for my virtual machines…actually get to the correct place on my array.…But, what about operations like Storage vMotion?…Or taking a snapshot?…These are operations that are handled…directly on the storage array.…And so therefore, it's not storage traffic…that's going to flow through the protocol endpoint.…This is what we use the storage provider for.…Those commands are sent directly from vCenter…to the storage array.…
And these commands are much more lightweight…than using the data mover of the ESXi host…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with VMware vSphere 6with Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
Configure and Manage VMware vSphere 6 Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
Fundamentals of Cloud Data Storagewith Joseph Lowery1h 26m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.