Understand the basic concepts of vSphere 6 Storage I/O Control (SIOC) and how it can be used to prioritize storage traffic. Rick Crisci also explains use cases and the causes of I/O contention.
- [Instructor] In this video, I'll explain…Storage I/O Control, and we'll learn some of the basic…functions and features that it includes.…Storage I/O Control uses shares, limits, and reservations…to control IOPs.…It's used to control contention for storage bandwidth.…It actively monitors latency and enforces…its share structure as needed.…When poor performance is detected, which is usually defined…as 30 milliseconds of storage latency or higher,…Storage I/O Control is engaged, and it will start to…throttle back the storage traffic for…lower priority virtual machines.…
Storage I/O Control can also determine…the peak throughput for a data store using its…Storage I/O Control I/O injector.…And this can be used to set the threshold at which…Storage I/O Control's share structure is enforced.…Storage I/O Control is supported on fibre channel,…iSCSI, and NFS storage.…VSN is not supported.…So Storage I/O Control is simply shares, limits,…and reservations, but for storage bandwidth.…
If we have a situation where there's contention…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.