In this video, Russ Long dives into the details of the DRS metric calculation. Learn the math behind DRS thresholds and how you can alter advanced parameters.
- [Instructor] Since migration thresholds…are the magic that make DRS work,…let's take a moment to jump down the rabbit hole.…First, let's go to the math to get some…of these values in a more concrete manner.…The first thing DRS does is figure out what the loads…are on each host using the formula:…sum, or loads expected, divided by the capacity of hosts.…Next, DRS needs to figure out the standard deviation…in the cluster.…This is fairly straight-forward, since we already know…the loads of each host in the cluster.…
We now take the value and find the variation,…or dispersion, that exists among the hosts.…This gives us our standard deviation.…Once completed, we inject both of those values…into the formula at the bottom.…Six minus the ceiling function, multiplied…by LoadImbalanceMetric, that's the one we got earlier,…divided by 0.1, multiplied by the square root…of the number of hosts in the cluster.…
Now I know you feel better about how DRS is calculated.…But in all honesty, you will probably never…be asked about this.…
- An overview of DRS
- Migrating virtual machines and thresholds
- Configuring DRS
- Creating and editing clusters
- Working with Storage DRS cluster features
- Managing DRS cluster resources
- Enabling Distributed Power Management
- Troubleshooting DRS
Skill Level Intermediate
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage VDSwith Brandon Neill1h 9m Intermediate
1. DRS Overview
2. Inner Workings of DRS
3. Configuration of DRS
4. Managing DRS Cluster Resources
5. Distributed Power Management
6. Troubleshooting DRS
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.