Learn about Fibre Channel zoning and the performance and accessibility implications for VMware vSphere data stores
- [Instructor] In this video, I'll explain…fibre channel zoning and how zoning can be used…to segment the fibre channel switch fabric.…If you've ever configured VLANs before,…zoning is a very similar concept.…Zoning is used much like VLANs are used to segment…an Ethernet switch, but in this case…we don't have an Ethernet switch.…We're going to segment this fibre channel switch fabric.…So for example, let's say in our slide here…we have a storage array, and this storage array…is connected to a fibre channel switch fabric…that is shared by development ESXi hosts…and production ESXi hosts.…
For the sake of this example, let's say that this…fibre channel array should only be accessible…by the production hosts.…Here we see a development host at the top left,…and that host should not be able to access…this storage array.…Now if you'll notice, the production ESXi host…is connected to a fibre channel switch fabric port…that is one color.…And the fibre channel array is also connected to a port…that's the same color.…
Those colors represent the zones that we've configured…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with VMware vSphere 6with Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
Configure and Manage VMware vSphere 6 Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
Fundamentals of Cloud Data Storagewith Joseph Lowery1h 26m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.