In this video, Russ Long discusses how Distributed Power Management works within a DRS cluster. Learn how to implement DPM in order to save power costs in your datacenter.
- [Instructor] Distributed Power Management, or DPM,…is a way to automate energy efficiency in our environment.…DPM uses the DRS calculation to determine the total…number of resources required verses the resources…that are available, and then if possible,…and depending on your threshold configuration,…DPM could place hosts within your cluster in standby mode…until needed.…So there are some requirements prior to implementing DPM.…First, we're going to need a cluster that is running DRS.…
Next, we require Wake On LAN capabilities for our…NIC cards.…Now those are our physical NIC cards that reside in the…host within our cluster.…Make sure that your cluster is running at least…version 3.5 of vSphere or higher on all hosts…within the DPM cluster.…Now Wake On LAN actually allows the DRS cluster…to communicate using the magic packet, or wake up packet,…to the host to bring it out of standby mode.…
So this is what allows that communication to put a host…into standby and to bring it out of standby mode.…I-L-O, or iLO, and IPMI allow DRS to do the same thing.…
- An overview of DRS
- Migrating virtual machines and thresholds
- Configuring DRS
- Creating and editing clusters
- Working with Storage DRS cluster features
- Managing DRS cluster resources
- Enabling Distributed Power Management
- Troubleshooting DRS
Skill Level Intermediate
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage VDSwith Brandon Neill1h 9m Intermediate
1. DRS Overview
2. Inner Workings of DRS
3. Configuration of DRS
4. Managing DRS Cluster Resources
5. Distributed Power Management
6. Troubleshooting DRS
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.