Demonstration of how to create a custom role in vCenter and assign it to a user or group
- [Voiceover] In this video I'll demonstrate how to…create a new custom role in vCenter.…For this demonstration we'll be using…VMware's hands-on lab environment and we'll be using…the vSphere with Operations Management 6.0 hands-on lab.…We're already logged into the web client…and I'm gonna browse to the administration area.…We can do that a couple of different ways.…We can click on our little home button up here…to bring down this menu…or you can simply click on administration here on the left.…
This brings us to the roles area within vCenter…and here you can see all the roles…that have already been created.…We have our three built-in roles:…administrator, read-only, and no access.…And then we also have a number of…sample roles that have been created as well.…I'm gonna create a new role and I'm gonna call it Helpdesk.…So we'll click on this green plus sign here…and the name of my role will be Helpdesk.…And now I can choose the privileges…that will be included in this role.…
And remember the best practice is to make it…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer vSphere 6.x Security domain of the VMware Certified Professional 6—Data Center Virtualization (VCP6DCV) exam.
- vCenter built-in and custom roles
- Task permissions
- Global permissions
- Local ESXi permissions and authentication
- Securing virtual machines and switches
- Managing ESXi host services and firewalls
- Using Lockdown mode
- Enabling single sign-on (SSO)
Skill Level Beginner
VMware vSphere 6 Essential Trainingwith Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage VDSwith Brandon Neill1h 9m Intermediate
VMware vSphere: Configure and Manage Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
1. Manage vCenter Roles and Permissions
2. Manage Local ESXi Permissions and Authentication
ESXi authentication options2m 29s
3. Secure and Harden the vSphere Environment
4. Enable Single Sign-On
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.