Rick Crisci explains all paths fown (APD) and permanent device loss (PDL) conditions, and what responses can be configured in vSphere High Availability using Virtual Machine Component Protection (VMCP).
- [Teacher] In this video,…I'll explain the All-Paths-Down…and Permanent Device Loss conditions.…And I'll also explain how vSphere 6…High Availability can protect…your virtual machines when these conditions occur.…In vSphere 6.0, there is a new feature…called Virtual Machine Component Protection or VMCP.…And VMCP protects virtual machines…from storage connectivity issues…like a Permanent Device Loss…or an All-Paths-Down condition.…Now a Permanent Device Loss condition…is one in which the storage array…can still communicate with the ESXi Host,…and the storage array has experienced…some sort of failure, perhaps a failed LUN.…
When this happens, the storage array…sends a message called a Sense Code…to the affected ESXi Hosts,…and when the hosts receive that Sense Code,…they know that this affected LUN is down,…and therefore the host will stop…sending storage I/O to that particular storage array.…Now let's take a look at hosts and clusters,…and I'm going to create a new High Availability cluster.…And we'll look at how we can take advantage…
Note: This course maps to the Configure and Administer Advanced vSphere 6.x Storage domain from the VCP6-DCV exam blueprint. Learn more about the exam objectives at VMware's site.
- Comparing VMFS (Virtual Machine File System) and NFS (Network File System)
- Working with Fibre Channel and FCoE
- Configuring iSCSI storage and authentication
- Working with block storage and VMFS
- Managing storage filters
- Using vSphere storage APIs
- Sharing virtual disks
- Configuring NFS storage
- Using vSphere Virtual Volumes
- Configuring VSAN data stores
- Configuring SIOC data stores
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with VMware vSphere 6with Brandon Neill1h 28m Intermediate
Configure and Manage VMware vSphere 6 Networkingwith Brandon Neill1h 33m Intermediate
Fundamentals of Cloud Data Storagewith Joseph Lowery1h 26m Intermediate
1. Storage Virtualization
Array thin provisioning1m 41s
2. Fibre Channel and FCoE
4. Working with Block Storage
5. Advanced Storage Concepts
7. Virtual Volumes (VVOL)
8. Virtual SAN (VSAN)
9. Storage I/O Control (SIOC)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.