Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video What is and is not included in an InDesign EPUB export, part of InDesign CC: EPUB Fundamentals.
…What I'd like to tell new students that I'm teaching how to…create ePubs from InDesign is don't be afraid.…[LAUGH] Don't be afraid to just jump into the deep end.…That is the recommended first step when you have an InDesign document that's been…prepared for print or PDF, and you want to convert it into an e-book.…Don't bother trying to fix things, yet.…Just export the thing to ePub and see what you've got.…One time out of a million, maybe you'll come up perfectly.…But, at least it'll give you a chance to see what needs to be fixed,…what needs to be tweaked back in the InDesign document.…
I'm going to do exactly that to this file here, this is A History of Art.…Let me give you a quick tour of what it looks like in InDesign.…And then, we'll talk about what gets included when you export to epub,…what doesn't get included, and what gets messed up a bit.…So, here we have the cover with a text frame sitting on top.…We have an opening spread with a little star that I made in InDesign.…We have text frames that have been spaced out with a few extra returns.…
- Understanding the difference between an ebook and EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle MOBI format
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 6/26/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
Using Word and InDesign Togetherwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting InDesign to EPUB 2 and EPUB 3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
Next steps5m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.