Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an ebook?, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
I think the first thing that we need to do is get our terms clear in our heads.…What is an eBook for the purposes of this title, because eBook itself is a pretty generic…term, any kind of book that can be read electronically, really.…But in this video title we are specifically talking about EPUBs and MOBI files, which are…Kindle files, and we're going to be spending a majority of our time talking about the EPUB…format specifically, because to create the Kindle file we're going to start with a healthy…EPUB and then convert it to Kindle.…
And I find that people who are not used to working with EPUBs or creating their own eBooks…are confused on the concept.…So what I have done here is I have put up three versions of the same title, Alice's Adventures…in Wonderland, in three different formats, and I have an extra eBook as a PDF that we'll look at as well.…But first let's look at Alice in Wonderland as a PDF.…I would say that most people who are familiar with InDesign are familiar with PDFs, right.…We know that what we're looking at when we look at a PDF is essentially exactly what…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.