Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Validating EPUB2 and EPUB3 files, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
You may remember that in one of the first movies in this title, I talked about the InDesign…to EPUB workflow, and we see these little check marks all over the place.…Now, I mentioned back then that these check marks stand for validating the EPUB.…And I suggested that you validate throughout the proofing and editing process, and then…you do one final validation before you upload it.…So, that's what I want to talk about in this video in depth, what is validation, and how do you do that?…Validation is when you submit your EPUB to a program that looks inside the EPUB and checks…to make sure that it's following the rules. What rules?…The rules set forth by the International Digital Publishing Forum, idpf.org.…
They have created a set of rules or standards for both the EPUB 2.0.1 format, that is the…format used by the vast majority of eBooks out there now and in the near future, and…for the recently agreed upon standard of EPUB 3.…So, things like, if I open up OPF 2.0.1, and I scroll down and then just tap one of these…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.