Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Using free scripts to automate text formatting, part of InDesign CC 2014: EPUBs.
…As I've mentioned a few times in this title, the best practice when…prepping your InDesign file for ePub export is to remove all local formatting.…And instead, replace that with paragraph styles and character styles.…I want to show you a fast way to do that,…using a couple free scripts that are available for InDesign.…Let's zoom in on our sample document here.…And you can see we have some…basic formatting, got the subhead and paragraph styles.…We have some italic and bold italic texts. We have some small caps here.…
We have some bold texts here.…And we have some superscripts, the footnote references.…Let's go ahead and export this to ePub, with command and control E,…export it to ePub format. We want ePub 3, view ePub after exporting.…And then under advanced,…we want to make sure that generate CSS is…enabled, and preserve local overrides is not enabled.…This is the devil's check box, never leave it checked.…And then include embedable fonts.…I usually do that. Click OK.…
So, what's happening over here?…We are missing a whole lot of the character formatting.…
- Understanding the difference between an ebook and EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle MOBI format
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 6/26/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CC 2014: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin3h 46m Intermediate
Word and InDesign: Integrationwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 29m Intermediate
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting InDesign to EPUB 2 and EPUB 3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
Next steps5m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.