Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the anatomy of EPUB2 and EPUB3 files, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
When you expand or crack open an EPUB, all the files that you see here are how the EPUB…reader or EPUB software creates this beautiful eBook that you see in the background.…If you have been viewing the entire course so far, then you probably recall us taking a peek…at what's inside an EPUB way back in Chapter 2.…But I think it's time to revisit these files, especially now that you know how InDesign created them.…And I want to familiarize you with the contents of some of these control files like the content.opf…and toc.ncx files which manage a lot of the behind the scenes functions in your eBooks.…
Now some of these files when you're editing in EPUB you may never need to touch, others…you're going to become very familiar with.…And at this point you might say, well, if I export from InDesign and it validates…and it looks decent in the eReader, then why would I ever need to crack it open?…You are the lucky one, because 99% of the time you're going to have to do something…inside the EPUB that is just not possible to do in InDesign. You're going to have to…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.