Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Modifying the navigational TOC, part of InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad.
This is a Navigational Table of Contents for the EPUB that we have been working with quite…a bit in this title. You can hide it and show it.…And my problem with this Navigational Table of Contents is that this one is too long.…I know that it is there because that is how InDesign created it.…InDesign spilt these out according to the TOC style that I specified when I exported it to EPUB.…The TOC style pulled in this headline right here just like it pulled in this nice and short headline here.…
As the EPUB producer, you do not have the ability to edit the text of your client's books, but…you do have some facility in editing some of the navigational things.…So how would we fix this?…We need to edit the file called toc.ncx, because we are working with an EPUB2 file here.…So here in the Finder here is the EPUB, and here it is expanded, I am just going to go…a head and edit the toc.ncx file from the expanded version.…
I'll drag and drop that right onto TextWrangler.…Let's take a closer look at this, then we hide all that other stuff behind you.…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CS6 New Featureswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 21m Appropriate for all
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.