Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning the basic prep steps for most InDesign files, part of InDesign CC: EPUB Fundamentals.
…You saw in previous videos that if you just export any old InDesign…file to ePUB, you probably not going to end up with something usable.…You might it depends, you know if you just…have a plain old text heavy, InDesign file like a…book or something like that very often it will come…up looking great, but if you have anything complicated whatsoever.…You'll probably need to do some preparation in that file.…But in this time we're going to assume…you can do the Save As method, you've got something ready for print…and now you need to manipulate it to get it ready for ePUB.…
The first thing you want to do is check you're file names and style names.…So file name in the name of the InDesign file.…As well as any links, image links are…placed PDFs or whatever those file names are…going to end up within the HTML and CSS and they need to adhere to the standard…rules of high newing files for websites. Only alphanumeric characters.…Numbers and letters. If you use spaces, it's not really kosher.…But don't worry about it, because InDesign will replace spaces with a hyphen.…
- Understanding the difference between an ebook and EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle MOBI format
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 6/26/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting InDesign to EPUB 2 and EPUB 3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
Next steps5m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.