Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video How does an INDD file become an EPUB?, part of InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad.
So how does your InDesign layout get converted to an eBook, to an EPUB, or to a MOBI file for the Kindle?…We all know how to convert an InDesign file to PDF.…You just export to PDF, the end.…It's not so simple with EPUBs and MOBIs though unfortunately, not yet, we are getting there though.…First of all, you start with your InDesign layout.…You need to do some prep work to the InDesign layout, and I will have a chapter on preparing…your files for the EPUB export.…
But you need to do things like check out text formatting, it's far better to make sure that…all of text is formatted with paragraph and character styles and no overrides, no pluses…anywhere, and I will show you some automated ways to help you reach that goal.…Often, you will need to adjust the layout, the sequence of items or how they appear in…sequence because when you export your InDesign layout to EPUB, an EPUB is one long flowable…document, imagine a Word document that represents your entire book.…
And sometimes exporting your entire InDesign layout with all of its frames and tables and…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CS6 New Featureswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 21m Appropriate for all
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.