Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Examining the EPUB file format, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
You're going to find it a lot easier to understand the rest of this video title.…If you take a moment to come with me while I give you a tour of what's inside of these EPUBs.…Because these EPUBs are not just a single file, they're actually a collection of many…files, and the .epub extension is essentially a .ZIP extension.…So you know about .ZIP, right?…You take a folder full of files or a whole bunch of individual files, and you can compress…them into a Zip file on both the Mac and the PC.…Well, that's what these EPUBs are is that they are Zip files except they end with .epub instead of .ZIP.…
You can change the extension to .ZIP and extract them easily on Windows.…On a Mac, you have to use third-party software because it's built in unarchiving software,…it doesn't recognize those renamed Zips. But I have already done that for you.…And of course, later on in this title, I'm going to show you lots of ways that you can…unzip or what we call crack open the EPUBs to start editing the contents.…But first, let me show you what they look like as a complete EPUB.…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.