Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Designing for the Kindle MOBI and KF8 formats, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
Formatting your eBook for the Kindle requires some knowledge that Amazon freely offers.…It's kind of hard to find, though, so I'm going to show you where those resources are in this…video and then go over some of the main things you need to keep in mind.…I know I talked about this in the previous video about getting to know the KDP portal,…but let me review in case you jumped right to here, but there are two formats that you…need to deal with when you are creating an eBook for the Kindle Store, because you don't…know which of these wonderful devices people will be using when they download it.…
The ones that are black and white are called according to Amazon's terminology, the Kindle e-readers.…You might also hear them referred to as E ink, but that's actually the proprietary technology…that drives the screen display, and I think E ink might actually be trademarked.…So we're calling it E-readers.…You can think of it as the black and white Kindles.…The e-readers use one format called Mobi 7, and then the other part of the family are…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.