Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a guide section for iBooks, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
A guide section is an optional element that you can add to the content.opf file in your EPUB.…The content.opf file is one of the component files inside an EPUB that you have heard me…referred to as the brains of the operation.…And at the very bottom of the content.opf file, you can add another section called the Guide section.…Apple's iBooks would prefer that you include a Guide section, so does the Amazon Kindle.…They request that you include a Guide section, and in their Publisher Guideline PDFs that…you can download from their websites, they tell you what needs to be included in a Guide section.…
So I thought I'd spend a little time in explaining that, and also I'm giving you a Guide section…cheat sheet in your exercise files, this document that I have open right here.…It shows you an example of the kind of code that you want to end of that content.opf file.…So it starts out with the guide tag.…The Guide section essentially tells the eReader about important elements in the structure…of this book, like is there a copyright page?…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CS6 New Featureswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 21m Appropriate for all
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.