Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Converting local formatting to styles, part of InDesign CS6: EPUB Kindle and iPad.
Now let's talk about styling text.…I can tell you that probably one of the most frustrating aspects of exporting from InDesign…to EPUB is managing the formatting of your text.…Now, we're going to start with formatting 101 in this video.…But in upcoming videos, you'll see that I'll be coming back to talking about working with…styles and formatting and workarounds.…The thing is that InDesign is meant for print and PDF.…And the engineers are struggling and working as hard as they can in getting it to comply with CSS as well.…
But sometimes what works for print and what works for InDesign doesn't work for CSS. What is CSS?…That is a Cascading Style Sheet.…That is formatting 101 as that all of your formatting that you have applied to…text, whether it's local formatting or via styles and paragraph styles and character…styles, can be converted to styling information for the EPUB.…And since EPUBs are websites, websites are formatted with cascading style sheet.…It's like a stylesheet document to which the actual document, the document that contains…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 17m Intermediate
InDesign CS6 New Featureswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 21m Appropriate for all
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.