Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Choosing an EPUB editor, part of InDesign CS6 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPad.
Now we need to consider what is the best application for editing an EPUB?…I think one of the easiest ones to use on the Mac side is TextWrangler.…Now, if you drag an EPUB on top of TextWrangler, TextWrangler can show you the contents of…the EPUB, that's called the archive.…So it can show you the contents of an archive, and you can see inside here, if you're checking something.…But notice that it's locked, you can't really edit it.…TextWrangler is a free program from Bare Bones Software, and if you go to their website,…you'll see that you can purchase the big brother for TextWrangler, BBEdit, Mac only and then…that one you can edit the contents of files in an archive.…
But one of the reasons that I really like TextWrangler is because I usually expand the EPUB anyway.…So here I have expanded it with my friend EPUB UnZip.…Here is the contents of that EPUB folder.…And if I drag the folder on top of the TextWrangler icon, then I see the same files, but now they are editable.…Now, here is what I like about TextWrangler and these are the kind of things that you…
- Understanding the differences between ebook formats
- Best practices for InDesign file preparation
- Managing the content flow with Layout order and the Articles panel
- Using free InDesign scripts to automate EPUB productions
- Optimizing images, charts, and tables
- Opening and examining EPUB files
- Editing important CSS and HTML tags
- Including drop caps, pull quotes, and text wraps
- Enriching your EPUBs with video and embedded fonts
- Acquiring an ISBN for ebooks
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle format (MOBI and KF8)
- Distributing ebooks with resellers and aggregators
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CS6 New Featureswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 21m Appropriate for all
InDesign CS6: Interactive Documentswith Mike Rankin5h 11m Intermediate
1. Ebook Overview
What is an ebook?13m 41s
2. EPUB Production Basics
3. Preparing an InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Modifying Text and Images for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Editing EPUB Files for Functionality
9. Editing EPUB Files for Formatting
10. Converting an EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
11. Distributing Your Ebook
Next steps4m 52s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.