Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding alt tags to images and objects, part of InDesign CC: EPUB Fundamentals.
…When a person who has visual problems reads an eBook, it's fascinating.…I saw a video once of all the different ways that…people get around not being able to read words very well.…And an eBook, and, of course, they can't do Braille, right, because it's a screen.…So most people who are blind or have any other kind of visual problems, they use a…screen reader that reads aloud the text. When they come to an image, the screen…reader will automatically look for a tag called an alt tag, or alternate tag.…
It's usually a description of the picture.…If there is no alt tag, then the screen reader will…read the name of the jpeg, which is often not really useful.…It might be 54321.jpeg.…You know, that doesn't really tell them what the picture's about.…And often the picture is very much germane to the story.…Therefore, it is important that you add Alt tags, good Alt tags…to your images that you're going to be exporting to Epub Especially…since we're exporting to EPub Three, and one of the big features…in EPub Three, if you recall, is that it is very accessible.…
- Understanding the difference between an ebook and EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to Kindle MOBI format
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUBwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 18m Intermediate
InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals (2014)with Mike Rankin3h 47m Intermediate
Using Word and InDesign Togetherwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Exporting InDesign to EPUB 2 and EPUB 3
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB Files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
Next steps5m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.