In this video, learn about how Dynamo can write to two common 3D geometry file formats: stereolithography (.stl), and ACIS SAT (.sat). The STL file format is most frequently used as a solid model file format for 3D printing and rapid prototyping. SAT is a commonly used format in conjunction with Revit's massing tools for hosting Revit elements to geometry imported from other software.
- [Instructor] Dynamo can write…two common 3D geometry file formats.…There's stereo lithography or STL,…which is most frequently used as a solid model format…for 3D printing and rapid prototyping.…The other format is ACIS SAT…which is a commonly used format in conjunction…with Revit's massing tools,…for hosting elements like walls, floors, roofs,…and curtain systems,…to geometry that's imported from other software.…Let's start this video by exporting some geometry to STL.…
The STL data format supports only solids and surfaces,…so not any curves, points, or any other data type.…Keep in mind though, that if you're creating this STL file…with the intention of sending it to a 3D printer,…you want to make sure…that you're only exporting solid geometry.…For this example, I'm only interested in exporting…this solid that we generated in a previous video.…Before we move any further,…we should check and make sure that the geometry…we're exporting is either a solid or a surface.…
We can see from the node preview that we're working…
- Placing and connecting Dynamo nodes
- Working with data types and math functions
- Creating number lists and text strings
- Writing data to an Excel spreadsheet
- Filtering and sorting data
- Creating points, curves, surfaces, and solids
- Analyzing geometry
- Linking a Dynamo-driven SAT to Revit
- Placing Revit families with Dynamo
- Creating Revit views and sheets with Dynamo
Skill Level Beginner
Exercise files1m 21s
1. Getting to Know Dynamo
What is Dynamo?6m 9s
2. Working with Data
3. Constructing and Analyzing Geometry
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.