Explore the SharePoint built-in feature called Column Default Value Settings, which automatically inherits the account name throughout the Dynamics folder structure.
- [Instructor] So, Dynamics, not so good with the metadata, but SharePoint is and I want to talk to you about this because when we're talking about enabling content types into a library, there are certain types of metadata that we may just be able to assume based on where the document is located. So, a sales account inside of the account library or a department inside of a department site. These are pieces of metadata that we may want to reuse for example in like search results, you know, we may want to see that oh, well this is a sales quote but who is it for and because we have a piece of metadata that's associated with it, we can identify the file that we're looking for in search results because we have these other pieces of metadata available.
So in this particular case, I've got a purchase order and I've got a field called document type, and I want to associate the document type of purchase order with this purchase order and I know that that's what it is because that's where it lives. So SharePoint has this cool feature inside of your library settings called column default value settings. So click on column default value settings, and then over there on the left, see how you've got purchase order. Now, if I was in my account library, I would see all of the subfolders and I would be able to associate different pieces of metadata with every single folder.
I'll show you that in a minute. But inside of here, pretty simple, it's a purchase order. I can't default the sales account because remember all the purchase orders are going into the same library here, but I can use the default value of purchase order here and click OK. And let me show you how that's going to work. So now I've got a document type of purchase order and when I come back into purchase order, the one that was in there didn't default to it because it was in there before I set the default so it's a point forward solution, but let's go back into A. Datum inside of Dynamics and we'll upload another purchase order.
And click open. I'm going to choose my purchase order library, click OK. Alright, so I've got another purchase order here inside of Dynamics and when I go back into my subsite and hit refresh, look what happens. So now I have another purchase order and it automatically populated that data document type purchase order. Now, off camera I had edited the properties of the original purchase order as well just to show it to you. So, the idea being that if we have a piece of metadata, we can use that column to customize other solutions.
So, for example, we can use it to view inside of CRM and then we could also use it as a refiner inside of search results.
- Adding documents in Dynamics
- Editing a document
- Viewing documents in SharePoint
- Fixing a broken connection
- Working with content types
- Creating a content type
- Using OneNote
- Integrating with Yammer
- Seeing CRM data in Delve
- Creating surveys with Voice of the Customer