Renaming a folder in SharePoint breaks its connection to Dynamics. Learn how to fix that by modifying the relative URL to match the new folder name.
- [Female Instructor] So this is an example of the type of folder that is created by Dynamics inside of SharePoint. And I don't know about you, but I don't know if I can live with that GUID. So, there are some consequences to renaming folders and so I want to talk about that. So I'm going to edit this folder name I'm just going to put a checkbox by it. And click on the little i up here in the upper right-hand corner. And I am going to delete this. Now if think about it, I mean, there's a good reason for it.
They put the GUID here to make sure that it is a unique name, right? So I'm just going to hit enter to lock that in. Ahhh, doesn't that look so much better? Okay but now, we've broken the connection inside of Dynamics which is not good. So, let's come into Dynamics and we're going to go into the settings. And the Document Management. And SharePoint Document Locations. Okay, so I'm just going to resize this column so I know where I'm at Because I have a couple of different document locations on a couple of different sites.
So, I am looking for, hey look, A.Datum on, I'm going to resize this column too, so that you can see it. I'm looking for A.Datum on my subsite, and you can see that right now, it thinks it's pointing to a relative URL that still has that GUID on it. And it's not, because I've renamed it in SharePoint. So you're going to click on that Documents on Subsite. And you're just going to make it match. So you're going to come in here to the relative URL. You're going to click on that, and you're going to change the name.
Hit Save and Close. If you get this message, don't worry about it. Click Okay. I don't know why we get that message but it ends up doing what you want it to anyway. Alright, so here we go. Documents on Subsite of Sales One regarding A.Datum now is pointing to the relative URL of this A.Datum. Alright, let's test my theory. Let's gone ahead and go into my accounts. Let's go into A.Datum.
Go into my Documents. And upload a new document. Browse out. Pick something else, click Open. And click Okay. Alright, it's here in Dynamics. So let's go out here and see if it's here when I click on it. Now if it's not there automatically just hit refresh. It will be there and you see that it was uploaded just a few seconds ago, Correspondence. So Dynamics creates these folder names that are intended to be unique and it uses a GUID to do that.
But if you don't like the unique name on any given folder, which I don't like, then you can modify it. Just by going into that properties inside of SharePoint. Click the little i button, change it. But don't forget that once you change it in SharePoint, you've got to also tell Dynamics that you've changed it there in that relative URL field. So changing the name of a SharePoint folder or library is going to break the connection. But you can see how easy it is to fix it.
- Adding documents in Dynamics
- Editing a document
- Viewing documents in SharePoint
- Fixing a broken connection
- Working with content types
- Creating a content type
- Using OneNote
- Integrating with Yammer
- Seeing CRM data in Delve
- Creating surveys with Voice of the Customer