Join Tom Geller for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding why views are useful, part of Drupal 6: Online Presentation of Data.
- View Offline
Now we get to the meat of the matter, the Views module, which lets you…deconstruct the content you created in Nodes and present it in new and…interesting ways. To better understand what it does, let's revisit some points…discussed in the earlier video, "Planning your Data Structure."…By now we understand that records are broken up into fields, Name, Address,…City and so on. We also know that we have to make decisions about how to…breakup these fields, when we design a Drupal site. For example, we could have…broken the Address field into three, one for the street number, one for the…street name, and finally, one for street or avenue or road or whatever.…
We saw in the video hiding and automating unnecessary fields that it's possible…to use the Token module to combine fields in simple ways under very limited…circumstances. But what if you want to combine those fields in more complex…ways. For example, to create mailing labels of all of the nodes in your Drupal site.…You can do that by creating a formula that mixes fields with text delimiter,…
- Importing and manipulating data in Drupal
- Presenting date-formatted information in calendars
- Understanding Drupal's data-query interface, "Views"
- Improving view appearances with grid, list, and table formatting
- Importing, exporting, and cloning views
- Extending views with arguments and relationships