Join Tom Geller for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding geographic data, part of Drupal 6: Online Presentation of Data.
- View Offline
Earlier, we used address book entries as an example of a simple data structure,…but an address has actually two kinds of information. It's the numbers and…letters that define it, and the actual place that it defines on a map. That…second kind of locational information moves an address into an area of…geographic data that's highly valuable in ways that can affect lives directly.…That was the case in the 1854 cholera outbreak in London, which Edward Tufte…made famous in his 1983 book, 'The Visual Display of Quantitative Information.'…People throughout that city were dying, but nobody could figure out why, until…Sewer engineer Edmund Cooper and later the Dr. John Snow, decided to plot the deaths on a map.…
Obvious patterns became clear immediately and the cause was pinpointed to a…specific water pump that the victims used. So that's the background in an…understanding of how this information can be especially useful, but let's get back to Drupal.…We showed some Drupal sites that turned data into maps and the video touring…
- Importing and manipulating data in Drupal
- Presenting date-formatted information in calendars
- Understanding Drupal's data-query interface, "Views"
- Improving view appearances with grid, list, and table formatting
- Importing, exporting, and cloning views
- Extending views with arguments and relationships