Join Tom Geller for an in-depth discussion in this video Understand Views, part of Drupal 8 Essentials 2: Building Out Your Website.
- [Voiceover] Now we come to Views,…one of the most powerful parts of Drupal.…Up until this point in the course,…we've had pretty good control…over how Drupal presents individual nodes.…What Views does is let you combine nodes and parts of nodes…into useful groupings of information.…The easiest way to understand Views…is to look at the front page of your site,…and specifically, I'm going to turn on…the pencil icons by clicking this pencil up here.…And you'll notice that there are two right above this node.…The bottom one lets you edit the node…the top one actually lets you edit the view,…but instead of going to the view that way,…I'm going to go to it the more traditional way.…
First, I'll turn off the pencil icons,…and then I'll go up to structure…and scroll to the bottom and views.…This is a list of all the views…that come on your site by default.…As you scroll through, you'll notice a lot of these paths.…These are the ways that you get to…any particular page that's described by a view.…For example, if I click on /admin/content,…
In these tutorials, Tom Geller helps new Drupal designers change the layout and design elements of their sites, control visitor interactions (including comments), arrange content in user-friendly "views," and expand the site's capabilities beyond what's available in core Drupal with Drupal modules. In all the steps you'll learn best practices to ensure your sites remain streamlined, secure, and up to date.
If you want to start from the beginning and create your Drupal site from scratch, check out Drupal 8 Essentials 1: Getting Started.
- Grouping content into categories
- Managing comments
- Adding discussion groups
- Customizing fields and image styles
- Adjusting menus and navigation to help users
- Adding new features with Drupal modules