Join Tom Geller for an in-depth discussion in this video Modify image styles, part of Drupal 8 Essentials 2: Building Out Your Website.
- [Voiceover] Fields in Drupal have specialized settings.…When you add an image field, for example,…you can choose whether it should appear in its original size…or shrunk down to a thumbnail.…You actually have a lot of control…over the specifics of how images appear…through image styles .…We'll look at a node through another video in this course,…specifically, this Paul Shellington node.…On the front page, you see a portrait of him…in a very small thumbnail.…But if we click on the link,…we see that it's actually larger…once you look at the full node.…
So, we have two different sizes of the same image.…Drupal does something very smart.…When you an image,…it automatically creates multiple versions…and stores them on the server,…so visitors never have to download an image that's too big.…I'll show you.…We'll go to our File System…where the Drupal installation is,…and then into Sites, and Default.…Once we're there, we go into Files.…In that other video, you might remember…we created a folder called Artist Portrait,…or rather we said that that's…
In these tutorials, Tom Geller helps new Drupal designers change the layout and design elements of their sites, control visitor interactions (including comments), arrange content in user-friendly "views," and expand the site's capabilities beyond what's available in core Drupal with Drupal modules. In all the steps you'll learn best practices to ensure your sites remain streamlined, secure, and up to date.
If you want to start from the beginning and create your Drupal site from scratch, check out Drupal 8 Essentials 1: Getting Started.
- Grouping content into categories
- Managing comments
- Adding discussion groups
- Customizing fields and image styles
- Adjusting menus and navigation to help users
- Adding new features with Drupal modules