This video provides an overview of the five main features of Dropbox—file backup, version control, file sharing, collaboration, photo and video sharing, and document scanning.
- [Instructor] Dropbox offers more than just file storage and synchronization. This movie is a quick overview of some of the other things that Dropbox can do for you to make your digital life easier. In other movies, we'll dive deeper into each one of these topics. Dropbox is a painless way to back up your files. This is because every file in your Dropbox folder exists not only in your local hard drive, but also on Dropbox servers, safe and sound. Dropbox can help you with version control. Every time that you save a file, Dropbox automatically saves the previous version.
You can go back in time later and retrieve any of these old versions, so there's no need to keep renaming your files as version one, version two, version three and so on. Dropbox is a great way to share files with others. You're just a couple clicks away from sharing any file or folder in your Dropbox folder with anyone. The recipient doesn't even need a Dropbox account. This is a super alternative to try and do email large file attachments. And Dropbox Showcase lets you build an attractive presentation of these files for those important projects where you need to impress or communicate clearly with a client.
Dropbox is a collaboration tool. If you share any folder inside your Dropbox folder with other Dropbox users, everyone in the group can access, modify and add comments to the files in that folder. It's like having a file server that can be used by people spread across many different physical locations. Dropbox Paper is a unique collaborative editing feature that allows multiple Dropbox users to seamlessly review and revise content. An integration with Microsoft Office allows users to collaborate on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.
Dropbox has an easy-to-use photo sharing feature that allows you to share photos and videos with friends and relatives in an attractive gallery view, by just dropping photos and videos in a designated folder. The Dropbox mobile app lets you quickly scan a document with the camera on your mobile phone and then save it to your Dropbox folder as a PDF. So as you can see, Dropbox is more than about just storage. It's also a backup, versioning, file-sharing, collaborating, scanning and photo sharing machine. We'll dive into these features in depth throughout this course.
DISCLAIMER: This course includes trademarks owned by Dropbox, Inc. This course has not been prepared, approved, or endorsed by Dropbox, Inc.
- Identify the main purpose of Dropbox.
- Describe the benefits of cloud storage.
- Discover two methods used to safeguard your confidential files.
- Explain how Dropbox can be used for version control.
- Recognize features that allow file-sharing with users outside of Dropbox.
- Practice quick, convenient ways to share photos and videos.