You can of course write your text in any word processing or text editor program…that you like. You can do it on a web service like Scrivener, you can do it in…Microsoft Word, like I'm doing it here, Notepad, wherever you'd like.…But if you're going to be using this text in your fixed-layout EPUB and you…want to get a preview of what it's going to look like in the EPUB, then you…might want to see if you can customize what it looks like in your text editing program.…Now if you have text in InDesign or QuarkExpress, or some program like that, then…it's very easy to use the paragraph and character styling commands and to…position it precisely on the page.…
Then you're going to be able to reuse that in your CSS and the EPUB, as I'll be…talking about in a future video.…If you are just doing it straight out from scratch, let's say that you're using…Word, unfortunately there's no great way to convert formatted text in Word to…CSS that makes any sense, and let me tell you I have tried.…If you come up with a plain old word processor that can export to formatted CSS,…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.