Join Joseph Lowery for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with categories and posts, part of Dreamweaver CC and WordPress 3.8 Essential Training.
…If WordPress were just for creating blogs, we…could pretty much stop the course right now.…But there's so much more that WordPress can do…and much of it revolves around its use of categories.…As in life, a category in WordPress is used for grouping.…You can create and apply, an unlimited number…of categories in any or all of your post.…As you'll see later in this chapter,…you can use WordPress categories to control…the look and feel of your site pages.…
In this lesson, we'll lay the foundation necessary to gain that control.…Let's start in the WordPress Dashboard.…Here, if I go to Post, there is a sub-menu item labeled Categories.…So let's go there. Now on the right, you can see that we have…one category cleverly named Uncategorized.…That serves as the initial default category.…On the left is an area for adding new categories.…Lets do that now.…I am going to create a new category called Courses.…
And…then use the same name in lowercase for the slug.…The slug identifier will come in very handy when we…get to building custom pages using Categories later in the chapter.…
- Setting up WordPress locally
- Establishing your Dreamweaver CC site
- Adding and editing posts and pages
- Customizing WordPress themes
- Building responsive layouts
- Extending WordPress editable pages
- Using and styling WordPress plugins
- Integrating jQuery functionality
- Publishing your WordPress site with Dreamweaver
- Personalizing and enhancing WordPress
Skill Level Intermediate
Author update on April 4, 2014:
WordPress 3.8.2 is now available from wordpress.org. The update focuses on security issues and should not impact this course in any way. A much bigger release, 3.9, is currently a release candidate and will likely go live later in April. I'm currently evaluating what impact v3.9 will have on this course.
Building Themes with Dreamweaver and WordPresswith Joseph Lowery1h 47m Intermediate
WordPress: Building Responsive Themeswith Morten Rand-Hendriksen2h 55m Intermediate
1. Setting Up WordPress
2. Exploring Your WordPress Site in Dreamweaver CC
3. Creating Content
4. Working with WordPress Themes
5. Customizing a Theme
6. Providing Responsive Design
7. Extending WordPress Editable Pages
9. Using WordPress Plugins
10. Extending the User Experience
11. WordPress Administration
12. Publishing Your WordPress Site
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.