Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUB.
In this course, I assume that you have some familiarity with EPUBs, especially…normal, flowable EPUBs and if you've never created one before, then you might…want to bone up on it.…I suggest that you take a look at my InDesign CS5.5 to EPUB, Kindle and iPad.…Though you don't need to know InDesign that well to create a fixed-layout EPUB,…I do talk about parts of an EPUB quite extensively in this title.…In addition, an EPUB is like a miniature web site, so the more that you know…about HTML and CSS, the better.…
If you are not that familiar with CSS at least, I recommend highly James…Williamson's CSS Fundamentals.…We do talk a bit about CSS in this title, and you'll feel much more comfortable if…you know what CSS is all about.…So with that, let's get going.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.