Shows how to create fixed-width EPUBs to sell in the iBookstore.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Anne-Marie Concepcion. And welcome to Creating a Fixed-Layout EPUB. In this course, I'm going to show you how to create these cool kind of EPUBs that iBooks will show as though it were a PDF, but you can sell them through the iBooks store. We'll start by looking at some of the special features of fixed-layout EPUBs, and we'll talk about how to get content into an EPUB. I'll show you how you can extract images from your PDFs. We'll jump right in to editing all these HTML files and image files using Dreamweaver and other EPUB-editing programs.
And I'll show you how to do things that everybody asks me about all the time, like how do you embed fonts in a fixed-layout EPUB, how can you make images span a two-page spread, and what's the fastest way that you can proof your EPUBs on your iPad? There's a lot to cover, but I try to make it as clear and simple as possible. So let's get started with creating a fixed-layout EPUB.
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.