If you'd like to jump right in and create a fixed-layout EPUB right now, I have…a wonderful surprise for you, I created a template.…Now this is what the fixed-layout EPUB template looks like if you drag and…dropped it onto your iPad. It opens up to two-page spread with a placeholder…cover image, and then as you scroll through, you can see huge graphics, page 2…page 3. Each page has a place where you can add a caption if you'd like, and I…just added it to only to page 2 for now.…
It's only eight pages long, and if you come up here and you look at the table of…contents, you can see it's got the usual, you know, thumbnail table of contents, or if you…click the text table of contents, there is a TOC.ncx file in here with these…names, you know, they are not really that necessary for fixed-layout EPUBS.…So all you need to do -- I am going to show in a second what these files look like…on the computer, is you're going to be replacing these huge honking graphics…with your own graphics, and of course, you are going to replace the cover image…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.