Here we have the editable production file for the Lost Highway book that…we've been working with.…This is actually a slightly more robust version of Nigel's book.…It's 12 pages instead of 8 with just fantastic photography as usual.…And if you have watched any of my InDesign's EPUB titles on lynda.com then you…will know that I always create a workspace in InDesign just for working with…EPUBs, so that the tools are used most often are close at hand.…
So if my interface looks a little different than yours don't worry about it, but…mainly, I have added the Articles panel which helps you govern the order of…which you export, and then I've also added the Scripts panel to my doc over here,…and Text Wrap, because I'm frequently having to go in here.…Now I just saved it as the AMC-EPUB workspace.…So, just as when you're working with a PDF, the main challenge when you…have production files to convert them to a fixed-layout EPUB is extracting…the text and graphics.…
Unfortunately, Adobe InDesign does not have any export to fixed-layout EPUB.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.