…If you skipped over the seven videos in this chapter that…showed you how to do this manually, I don't blame you.…As I mentioned in the beginning of the…chapter, over the the past couple years a number…of software companies have come out with add-ons to…InDesign, that do almost all the work for you.…And they don't lock up the EPUB afterword.…You can get it from them.…You can crack it open, and continue editing it if you like.…So, I want to take a look at a free, well, donation…where script, called EPUB caller and then a few commercial add-ons…and I'll give you some tips, on choosing the right commercial…add-on to create a fixed layout EPUB from your version of InDesign.…
You can see that I have my scripts panel opened…and by the way, I am running in InDesign CS6 now.…So, it might look a little different to you.…I've installed this, from the Rorohiko website.…So, if you go to rorohiko.com they are a prolific InDesign developer or…just search for EPUB Crawler, on Google or Bing you'll arrive at this page.…The developers created this to help you create…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.