What makes a fixed-layout EPUB into a fixed-layout EPUB?…How are its component files different from a regular flowable EPUB?…They both end with the EPUB extension.…When I tap on one of them in iBooks, how does it know to open it up to a…two-page spread with those cool little thumbnail TOCs at the bottom?…How does it know it's a fixed-layout EPUB?…And that's what I want to show you here.…There are actually very few differences, but they are crucial.…So what I have opened, are two different EPUBs, I've already unzipped them.…
All right, you see the component files.…One of them is a normal flowable EPUB called San Francisco History, which is a…document that we looked at in different videos in this title and that I was…using in my other InDesign to EPUB titles.…On the right, we have a folder called Missed Connections, and that is a…fixed-layout EPUB of a sample that I downloaded from the iBookstore, which is…a fixed-layout EPUB.…So you can see that, at first glance, they are the same.…There is a META-INF folder and a mimetype and a OEBPS folder.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.