Join Joseph Lowery for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a child theme, part of Dreamweaver CC and WordPress 3.8: Core Concepts.
…In this lesson, I'm going to show you how to set up a WordPress child theme.…As the name implies, a child theme is one…based on another theme known, naturally, as a parent theme.…A child theme can inherent styles from the parent while also establishing its own.…Child themes allow you to make any and all necessary changes for a custom blog site.…While maintaining the starting point, the parent theme,…this latter point becomes really important if the…parent theme is ever upgraded as they often are.…
So let me start by opening up the style.css for our current theme, custom.…I'm in the blog folder here, I'm going to drill down WP content and then I have…my Themes folder already expanded and let's open up Custom.…And now I want to open style.css.…At the top of this file, you can see a…comment that WordPress uses to get its theme information from.…So on line two is the name of the theme.…
There's also on line five the name of the author, and some more information.…We're going to use a similar comment for our child theme.…
- Setting up WordPress locally
- Establishing your Dreamweaver CC site
- Adding and editing posts and pages
- Customizing WordPress themes
- Building responsive layouts
- Extending WordPress editable pages
- Using and styling WordPress plugins
- Integrating jQuery functionality
- Publishing your WordPress site with Dreamweaver
- Personalizing and enhancing WordPress
Skill Level Intermediate
Dreamweaver and WordPress: Building Themeswith Joseph Lowery1h 47m Intermediate
WordPress: Building Responsive Themeswith Morten Rand-Hendriksen2h 55m Intermediate
1. Setting Up WordPress
2. Exploring Your WordPress Site in Dreamweaver CC
3. Creating Content
4. Working with WordPress Themes
5. Customizing a Theme
6. Providing Responsive Design
7. Extending WordPress Editable Pages
9. Using WordPress Plugins
10. Extending the User Experience
11. WordPress Administration
12. Publishing Your WordPress Site
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.