So you're starting from scratch and you are gathering all of your assets…together in order to start linking to them in your HTML and XML files. Let's…start with talking about images, preparing your images.…If you already have images in an InDesign layout or PDF, then this does not concern…you, because when we export from there, as I'll cover in future chapters, we can…figure out what's happening with the resolution, and so on.…Let's say that you have an image that you took with your camera and you have it…open, I'm going to use Photoshop here.…What should you do to prep it for your fixed-layout EPUB?…First of all, the image needs to be in JPEG or PNG format, and they really prefer…that you do it in JPEG format.…
And the only time that you ever need PNG is if you have any kind of transparency…in the image, and you want to see something through it, but Apple recommends…that you try and stay away from PNG just because it takes longer to process.…In other words, your readers will be flipping to a page and nothing will appear…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.