…The 2014 release of InDesign CC has brought us a fantastic new feature.…If you go down to the File menu and…choose Export, we now have two choices for exporting this.…Reflowable, in older versions of InDesign it…would just say EPUB and it meant reflowable.…But now look at this.…We have Fixed Layouts right from InDesign.…This is a 1.0 feature as they say.…This is the first time it's come out.…And I'm sure that there's going to be tweaks made to the output.…
But as it is, it does a really good job.…The best part is that there's absolutely no prep needed to the file.…We can just choose Export.…Everything that you see on the page gets exported…including stuff from the master page, footers and so on.…It supports transparency.…It does not support hyperlinks yet, not at this recording.…So you'd have to add those down the road.…It does support font embedding.…In fact, that's probably the only preparation step…that you need to do, is to make sure…that all your fonts are up to date and that they're only true type or open type.…
- Comparing fixed-layout and flowing EPUBs
- Replacing placeholders in the fixed-layout template
- Extracting content from PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Pro and Reader
- Using free scripts to streamline fixed-layout production
- Extracting text and its formatting from InDesign layouts
- Exporting InDesign layouts to single-page HTML files
- Adding viewport and orientation instructions
- Embedding your own fonts
- Creating faux text wraps around background images
- Validating the EPUB
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: What's new in the 11/12/2013 course update?
A: Since this title was first recorded, many commercial third-party solutions have come to the marketplace that help InDesign users convert their print layouts to the fixed-layout EPUB format. We added a video about one of these, Rorohiko's ePubCrawler, to the "Starting with InDesign" chapter.
Q: This course was updated on 7/03/2014. What changed?
A: The author added and revised movies to reflect the June 2014 updates to InDesign's EPUB handling features, including fixed-layout support and EPUB exporting options.
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout EPUB Format
2. Starting from Scratch
3. Starting with a PDF
Extracting text7m 4s
4. Starting with an InDesign File, CC 9.2 or Earlier
5. Starting with an InDesign CC 2014 File
6. Editing CSS for Precise Positioning
Next steps2m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.